Charlotte Brozer Shapiro Scholarship in Women’s Studies
The Charlotte Brozer Shapiro Scholarship in Women’s Studies is awarded to a student majoring in women’s studies.
The Department of Women’s Studies is proud to announce the Charlotte Brozer Shapiro Scholarship in Women’s Studies. The inaugural award was given in Fall 2019.
Mindy S. Shapiro ’82 has established a fund to provide merit-based scholarships for students majoring in women’s studies to honor the legacy of her mother, Charlotte Brozer Shapiro. It is Mindy Shapiro’s hope that the students who benefit from the Charlotte Brozer Shapiro scholarship demonstrate not only a lifelong love of learning, but also the ability to help others, just as UMCP and the Department of Women’s Studies instilled in her.
The Charlotte Brozer Shapiro scholarship is a merit-based scholarship in the amount of $2,000 that will be awarded annually to at least one student majoring in women’s studies.
A First in Women’s Studies
Mindy Shapiro ’82 was a trailblazer in women’s studies at Maryland, earning the first undergraduate degree in the field, back when Maryland’s department was a young program.
Today, the self-described Jewish feminist and nonprofit leader is behind another milestone, making a $60,000 gift to create the first merit-based undergraduate scholarship in the Department of Women’s Studies.Full Story
- Student must be a declared women’s studies major
- Minimum major GPA of 3.0 and cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Preference will be given to students with junior or senior class standing
- Preference will be given to students who are pursuing Jewish or religious Studies
- Unofficial UMD transcript
- Resume or list of activities and awards
- A two-page, double spaced essay. Topic: What impact has majoring in women’s studies had on you? How will you use your women’s studies major to effect social change and help others?
- If relevant: An additional 100-word statement describing your coursework in Jewish or religious studies and related academic or co-curricular activities
- Applications due TBD.
- Please submit all materials in a single, combined PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information, please contact Gwen Warman at email@example.com, or call (301) 405-6877